I think most people have a list of what they plan on doing before they die. Whether it is a completely insane like hang-gliding off the Empire State Building or as simple as going to Italy I have always had a respect for those who at least value life enough to make a future list. We only go around this merry-go-round once (I think) so we should make the most of it.
Really, this thought was inspired by the late, great Professor Randy Pausch. If you are not familiar with him let me catch you up to speed. He was a computer science professor at Carnegie Mellon until he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer that metastasized through his body so rapidly, there was nothing that modern medicine could do but give him 3 to 6 months to live. Knowing his mortality he gave the most inspirational lectures that I have ever heard about living to live rather than preparing to die. He lived his last days the way we should live everyday. An amazing person. Here is a quick clip about Randy and I will post the entire lecture at the end of this post. Please watch it at some point.
So here is my list of what I want to do before I check out. Some of these may seem ridiculous but it’s my list so back off! Just kidding. They may seem a little silly.
- I want to climb El Capitan. Just the thought of standing next to this rock makes me momentarily lose bladder control. I have a long way to go for this so I am starting small. Yesterday I climbed onto the roof of my car.
- Learn the entire Thriller dance. Plus the “Moon Walk”.
- Qualify and complete the Hawaii Kona Triathlon.
- Pet a live Great White without losing a limb or cutting this list short.
- Perform the Heimlich on someone. That is depending on circumstance but if push comes to shove, I might just “mistake” someone as a choking victim just to knock this one off the list.
- Watch the space Shuttle take off from Cape Canaveral.
- See Iron Maiden, reunion of The Darkness, and Daft Punk in Germany.
- Streak somewhere.
- Get an IHOP sponsor for a relay eco-challenge team so I can legitimately claim we are powered by pancakes.
- See Aurora Borealis.
- Sing Flock Of Seagulls at a Karaoke bar in Key West, FL.
- Learn “Classical Gas” on guitar.
- Tell everyone I have wronged how sorry I am and tell my family that I love them all.
- Mentor a kid.
- Maybe have a kid of my own.
- Catch a home run from an opposing team and then throw it back onto the field.
- Read War and Peace, understand it and then teach it.
- Watch the F-14 fly again.
- Write my book and make it to some best seller list.
- Throw a paper airplane off the Eiffel Tower.
- Swim in the Dead Sea.
- Write a blog about a lot of nonsense.
There are a lot more but that is what I have for now. I am sure most people would have more meaningful items but then again, I don’t live a life like that. You have to have fun. I think that is the secret to life. I wish I could have asked Jack Palance.
Here is Professor Randy Pausch’s entire final lecture. Please watch if you have the time. It will be worth it.